British Consulate Paranoia

>> Thursday, June 4, 2009

So, since we are travelling to Nigeria in July through London Heathrow, hubby needed to apply for a British Transit visa. As the caring wife that I am, of course I did the whole application for him. They have this international website called WorldBridge. There you can find out whether you need a visa or not and send in your electronic application.

Each time I do this, I am flabbergasted at their paranoiac application form.
Yes I know there's terrorism, but is this really necessary? Can they rub it in any more?

I have really tried to understand the background for their insane questions but I can't seem to find any answers.
Questions include:
How much do you make each month?
How much do you pay in taxes?
How much of your income do you give to others?
How much of your income do you use for living expenses?
Are you bringing money with you, how much?
Is anyone else giving you money to spend?


What is up with all these personal, nosy questions? They've gone crazy now. I just don't get what this has to do with a visa. They also need your employers phone number and e-mail address.

It gets worse:

-Do you have any criminal convictions in any country (including traffic offences)?
Have you ever been charged in any country with a criminal offence for which you have not yet been tried in the court (including traffic offences)?

-In times of either peace or war have you‚ ever been involved in‚ or suspected of involvement in‚ war crimes‚ crimes against humanity or genocide?

Yeah sure I am going to tell you that I have been orchestrating genocide. Why wouldn't I?

-Have you ever been involved in‚ supported‚ or encouraged terrorist activities in any country?

-Have you‚ ever been a member of‚ or given support to an organisation that has been concerned in terrorism?

Yes I love terrorism. That's why I wanna come to your country!

Have you ever‚ by any means or medium‚ expressed views that justify or glorify terrorist violence or that may encourage others to terrorist acts or other serious criminal acts?


I glorify terrorism every day! I want to come to your country to share the love.


Now this is the most ridicilous one:

Have you engaged in any other activities that might indicate that you may not be considered a person of good character?



For really?


You're asking me if I am a person that may be considered to not have a good character.

LOL

That could go for almost anyone. A lot of people have people in their past who don't like them for some reason and may say a part of their character is bad. So for that you can't get a visa.
See, everyone that lives in the UK have a good character...they don't want to get contaminated.

Sure, I do understand the terrorism thing, but how stupid are you if you think terrorists are going to come applying for a visa and tell you their plans. If that is how they are combatting terrorism... well I am speechless.

Who do they think they are, that's what I am wondering...


post signature

P.S I am doing blogrounds asap! Been too busy.

20 comments:

Rebirth June 4, 2009 at 10:33 PM  

lol......... i feel u...... i hate those questions cuz even if i dont have good character, will i say yes?????? i guess its all just protocol.....

posekyere June 5, 2009 at 12:11 AM  

Some of these countries really think that they are the best thing that ever happened in this universe.
For goodness sake, why should I bother to apply for a visa, if I am going to be asked such %$#@ questions.
Wish you and your hubby good luck.
As far as making sure stress is not your neighbour is concerned, keep a prayer log. Everytime something begins to bother you take it to God in prayer. It will amaze you the peace that comes as a result!!
Bless You, Adaeze.

BSNC June 5, 2009 at 12:35 AM  

lol like someone who is really guilty will say yes.

lol@ the last question. like are they for real...

Miss Enigma June 5, 2009 at 2:36 AM  

Lol...I wonder if they expect yes to some of those question sef...mschew!

Watelse can we do but just be laffin at their sillyness...lol.

chayomao June 5, 2009 at 4:45 AM  

okay the last question got me. cmon!
this is crazy, but hey, it's protocol!

.. June 5, 2009 at 10:20 AM  

There is really not much one can do but indulge them..LOL..
Yep,as funms said,it's protocol..
I hope they give you guys your visa..

juiceegal June 5, 2009 at 11:20 AM  

Abi o..as if the terrorists wld state out their plans in the application form.....lol
These questions can get really annoying sha
But then again i get where they are coming from.We just have 2 accept it like that,shebi its us that wants 2 come 2 their country.
Pele i feel ur anger tho.

Anonymous,  June 5, 2009 at 1:09 PM  

The questions may be annoying but i do get where they are coming from....you can't be too careful these days. A terrorist would not doubt deny being one if asked...but at least the question has been asked. I think it's also about trying to ensure thta people coming in don't become a burden to the already stretched resources of the state....

The Author June 5, 2009 at 2:56 PM  

Like your funny take on this. I believe that any country is free to 'catch' terrorists, but will these questionnaires ever 'catch' one? What kind of foolish honesty would make them make such confessions?

olusimeon June 5, 2009 at 3:01 PM  

lol @ ur responses..the questions and many more a annoying..

Good Naija Girl June 5, 2009 at 3:52 PM  

Regarding the personal questions, I figure they can find out that financial information about me anyhow so I don't really mind filling in that info; the annoying thing is having to find where I have the information filed so I can report it.

Also, maybe someone who answers no to every question gets screened even harder because they know that no one is that perfect! ;)

I can't wait to hear all about your time in Nigeria...any chance you can take me with you?

Tigeress June 5, 2009 at 4:50 PM  

waow its gotten this bad. The really to search and weed out the evil bad characters within their country- the british citizens i.e. and worry less about foreigners who on transit visas. Transit is totally different to visiting!!!

The Activist June 5, 2009 at 4:50 PM  

I can’t comprehend this either and to think that is only Nigerians applying to travel out of Nigeria that they ask foolish questions only. So, hey do it to Nigerian abroad too. They must have believed that body language will give out a terrorist or something. I don’t get it though.

Lolia June 6, 2009 at 7:17 AM  

Okay so the last question I can't defend...as for the others, they're basically just asking you to help make their job easier because they can and will check all those things about you to make sure you're not lying as people are very prone to doing...and it's those people who have now messed it up for everyone else...I mean it sucks but i think everyone should cut them a bit of slack and be thankful that at least they're doing something to protect the people in their country because if they don't do it now and something happens it'll be that they weren't being vigilant not so?
Anyway I thank God I don't have to go through any of this...

Happy New Month dear and hope you have a fabulous weekend! x

Kajsa Hallberg Adu June 6, 2009 at 1:11 PM  

These type of questions bug me too, and all for a TRANSIT visa. Gosh. thanks for making us all laugh about it.

Anonymous,  June 7, 2009 at 8:15 AM  

lol..i cn imagine.

Adaeze June 8, 2009 at 1:59 PM  

@ Funms - I know it's protocol.. BUt I think they should revise their protocol! lol

@ Posekyere - That's exactly what I think too! Like they are the best thinig that ever happened. Thank you for your advice my friend. Bless you too!

@ BSNC - I know! Like they will say yes. It's ridicilous.

@ Undercover - Yeah I guess that is the best thing to do when we can't change it..

@ Chayoma - I know, I know. But I think they should revise their protocol and improve it, lol.

@ Rose - they're going to give it to us, if not they'll have me to deal with, lol!

@ Juiceegal - lol..true it is their right to set the rules. But I think they are a bit too extreme and won't change a thing..

@ Anonymous - I understand all the points about that, I have been working with immigration for years now. But the point is, this is just a transit visa, it's going to be damn hard to enter the country without another visa anyway. I don't see the point. I see the point of being careful but this isn't being careful in my own opinion this is just nosy.

@ Nana - You got my point exactly. My point is not that they should stop watching out for terrorists, but this is not the way to catch them. I can bet my life on they've never caughta terrorist this way, lol.

@ Simeone - thanks, lol. Annoying indeed.

@ GNG - I know what you mean. But I dont understand why another government should know details about my income. My own government already knows all that about me and I am not trying to stay in UK, only pass through the airport! Lol I would love to take you with me, but you need to learn how to teleport first ;-) I will tell all about it once I get there!

@ Tigeress - Thts' what I thought too "Has it gotten this bad?" U are so on point..Transit is so different to visitng.

@ Standtall - They sure do! I don't know who they think they are lol.

@ Lolia - I totally get your point, I just think that this particular measure is ridicilous when it comes to terrorism. This is not and will never be the way to investigate terrorism. If it is about immigration, I get that, but then again we are not immigrating. That's why i don't get why they got to ask all those questions. We can travel freely to almost any european country but not UK.

@ Kajsa - You're welcome! I thought you had disappeared but realised you have another blog now!

@ Leggy - thanks for stopping by. I've checked out your blog and follow it :-)

Lolia June 8, 2009 at 11:03 PM  

I know hun :S Don't mind them...

Although I feel like they just make all visa forms the same whether they're for students, visitors, transit, work or whatever...

Ndo ehn...x

Anonymous,  January 1, 2010 at 12:49 PM  

My boyfriend wants to just use his iphone GPS app to drive from Alaska to Eugene OR since we are moving. Is this a good idea? Should he get a real GPS for the car? Will it be more reliable?
[url=http://unlockiphone22.com]unlock iphone[/url]

Post a Comment

Make my day!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP