Thankful A

>> Friday, May 22, 2009

So, Aloted challenged me to write a thankful post based on the first letter of my name, Adaeze.
Not an easy job! I have been thinking all week what to write and my head is still short of ideas. And she hasn't even done it herself! Hehe.

I am thankful for....

Air - it's pretty obvious. Without it I wouldn't be alive. But being short of air is really a feeling that causes panic. I've climbed a few mountains, and as everyone knows, the air becomes thinner the higher you get. We are breathing it right now but we rarily think about it! So here goes, now think about it! lol
Almonds - Those nuts keep me going when I'm real hungry...
Apples - Pure apple juice is so good!

I already feel I need to be getting more serious here.. ok let me try:

Our anatomy - Studying biology (I don't, but used to) really makes one amazed and appreciative of the amazing machinery that we all really are. Every cell is meticulously designed for a purpose. Everything contiously renews itself and the only fuel we give our body is food, water and sleep. Our blood coagulates as soon as we get a scratch, and our body heals amazingly fast. Last year I had an accident and lost an inch off my little finger. My body's defence mechanism even made sure that I didn't feel a thing for the first 2-3 minutes. But when the pain set in..Don't even get me started. Anyway, I thought it would never heal. Fingers are extremely sensitive. I was in bed for a week with such excruciating pain I could not concentrate on any other thing than lying there shaking and talking. But after just 2 weeks the exterior parts of the finger was already closed up. The interior parts have taken a long time to heal, but nevertheless, it heals. Did you know the skin is considered our biggest organ and its completely renewed every month?

Animals - Animals give us the wonderful diversity we have on this planet. They all serve a purpose and we should really not take them for granted. The worms who cleans the soil, the birds who eat the insects, the bees who suck the flowers and polinate and spread the seeds, etc etc. Each animal has an unique place in the eco-system. They give us milk, eggs and meat. They help us with labour. And sometimes I feel they represent the innocence that us human beings very often lose. Very few animals are greedy, they only take what they need and don't spoil the earth in which they live. Animals are also a very untapped resource - they have trained sperm-whales to detect mines, dolphins do to the same, dogs you can use to guide blind people, guard compounds, herd sheep, detect mines, drugs, money or even cancer!

Acceptance - It's a beautiful thing when human beings accept each other in spite of difference of opinion, religion, ethnicity or race.

My abilities - I am thankful for being skilled in many different fields. No one can be perfect in anything but the amazing part of us as human beings is that we can train ourselves in almost anything. Practice makes perfect (well, almost)


Abolition - I am deeply thankful of the abolition of several horrible practices. Slave trade and death penalty are two of them (at least in many countries)

Adversity - Without it I wouldn't be the person that I am today. Adversity forms character and in most cases promote humility which I believe is a very important human quality.

Affection - One of the most beautiful feelings in our spectrum of emotions.


Last but not least - Africa. The continent where it all started. The cradle of humanity. The real origin of democracy * With its beautiful savannahs, high mountains, dry deserts and lush rainforests. It's diversity of life, be it plants, animals or human beings.

post signature

(Edit: In my own view anyway, I think African history is way too poorly recorded - the official version of the origin of democracy is Ancient Greece, but there are several examples of early quasi-democracy in Africa)

23 comments:

The Author May 22, 2009 at 2:27 PM  

For an adult whose inevitably seen a lot of adversity, your view of life is so soft and clever. I like it.

The Author May 22, 2009 at 2:28 PM  

For an adult who's seen a lot of adversity, your view of life is so soft and clever. I like it.

.. May 22, 2009 at 2:28 PM  

This is great...Not as easy as it seems...I'm thankful for you,your writing,and your ability to share your talent with us...Your inspirational posts too...

Blogoratti May 22, 2009 at 2:29 PM  

Thanks for sharing all that, i thought it was beautifully written!
Nice weekend.

Tigeress May 22, 2009 at 2:54 PM  

Good job Adaeze. I particularly like the one for acceptance. Whether or not we admit it, we all seek acceptance from someone or somewhere.

chayomao May 22, 2009 at 3:36 PM  

Africa oh Africa,
got`s to agree with Tigeress, acceptance was softly beautifully written, even thou was one sentence, spoke volumes...

jhazmyn May 22, 2009 at 4:15 PM  

I'm thankful for the thankful posts, they have a way of putting life and things in perspective, a way of making me focus more on the silver lining...tnxs girl

Writefreak May 22, 2009 at 4:25 PM  

Oh you did a very good job! You opened my eyes to things I might not even have thought of. Thank you dear Lord for the Abolition of slave trade and for Adaeze or reminded me of it!
Have a great weekend

Good Naija Girl May 22, 2009 at 5:26 PM  

Oooh, I love the acceptance one! It is so great when you find a person or a group of people who you feel truly accept you exactly as you are. It does amazing things for the self esteem!

You did quite well with Aloted's challenge. Have a beautiful weekend!

Downtheaisle May 22, 2009 at 5:54 PM  

good one, I am thankful, for my Abilities, Acceptance and for Affection.

you did a good job!

bob-ij May 22, 2009 at 6:17 PM  

lol... I'm liking this...especially the abolition!

X!

juiceegal May 22, 2009 at 7:37 PM  

Awwww u actually did it...i cldnt think of ten things i was thankful for that begins with j,maybe someday i wld be able to..lol
Africa..dat did it for me...i love this

Omo Oba May 22, 2009 at 8:36 PM  

Nice chosen words. (nice is rather bland but hey, nice!). I have to say I am so with you on almonds. And on affection, acceptance and esp. abolition. Of cuz u didnt forget to say an ode to Africa...tho I am curious as to the description "origin of democracy" - really?

Adaeze May 23, 2009 at 3:03 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Adaeze May 23, 2009 at 3:09 PM  

@ Nana Yaw - I'm glad you do :o)

@ Rose - Aww thank you girl I'm glad I could be inspiring.

@ Blogoratti - You too!

@ Tigeress - You are so right. I'm glad I thought of it lol

@ Chayoma - Yeah oh Africa! Thanks girl..

@ Jhazmyn - I'm happy I could be of some assistance!

@ Writefreak - I am thankful for you for helping me to be thankful!

@ GNG - You did well too! Have a wonderful weekend

@ Downtheaisle - thank you :-)

@ Bob-ij - Abolition sure changed the world for the better

@ Juiceegal - I challenge you to try! It really helps on your psyche to remember what you are thankful for. We take so many things for granted and this is a way to avoid that.

@ Omo Oba - Hehe i'm glad you asked actually. I guess it is a bold statement. The history that dominates the world is European and African history, the African history has unfortunately not been recorded as well as western history, so there is a serious lack of information. At the same time most of the colonial powers made sure to take most of that out of the curriculum taught in schools in Africa and also don’t tell much of it in schools in the western part of the world. There were many highly developed socities in Africa before colonialization and also several examples of early quasi-democracy. So by that I dont mean the democracy we see today, but an early front runner. How the Igbos ruled their traditional society is a good example. I know more but it would be too much to type down here, lol. I know that the first recorded case of democracy was in ancient Greece, but I don’t believe that was the first time ever someone thought of having the people have their say in governing, only the first time it was recorded and highly organized. So i guess it depends on how you define democracy. What I mean is that I beleive the first cases where they organized an assembly of common people happened in Africa allthough it was rare and poorly recorded.

Anonymous,  May 24, 2009 at 1:56 AM  

nice...very nice...africa, acceptance, abolition, AIR!...

weldone Adaeze...

Anonymous,  May 24, 2009 at 2:48 PM  

this is a nice thankful post!i am thankful for everything you mentioned

Tairebabs May 25, 2009 at 2:19 AM  

Lovely. I am thankful I am African. Thankful for this post!

Omo Oba May 25, 2009 at 4:16 PM  

u are right, Ada. Early practices and cultures of African societies is very poorly recorded. I just wanted some clarification so people know exactly what you mean by that. Thanks for the mini-lecture, I enjoyed reading :)

Enkay May 26, 2009 at 10:07 AM  

Africa my Africa!
Now you reminded me of a poem I knew long ago by David Diop.
I'll do a post on it soon.

So with you, I am grateful for my motherland - Africa!

I pray that soon, she will occupy the place of pride she truly deserves.

You did your own 'A' Edition very well!

BSNC May 27, 2009 at 5:22 AM  

i liked it. you did a good job ;)

now i have seen two A editions and one E edition. who is going to do the B edition hmmm, i wonder who

aloted May 27, 2009 at 3:42 PM  

Aww ur A list looks nicer than mine :D

Oh well..i am thankful for u..we A ladies rock ;-) (my first real name also starts with an A)

Adaeze May 28, 2009 at 12:39 PM  

@ Justdoyin, Pink - Satin and Tairebabs - thank you all so much i am glad I can succeed In being thankful!

@ Omo Oba - hehe you are welcome! I love people who ask questions regarding anything. I am like that myself. If something doesn't seem right I like to ask.

@ Enkay - I can't wait for your post on it! I pray that she will occupy that place of pride too. That would indeed be beautiful.

@ BSNC - Thank you! U need to do it o!

@ Aloted - Aww no It doesn't...A ladies rock, yes! Lol

Post a Comment

Make my day!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP