My doggie also known as Oga

>> Wednesday, May 27, 2009


I've been so busy since last week, and today I've really had problems coming up with things to blog about. I guess I am not in my right blog-mood. Every thing I wanted to blog about is so serious, so since I don't want my loyal readers to grow tired from sinister subjects I decided to get on a lighter note today.

Anyways, check out my dog:



This is him on my bedside begging for me to wake up in the morning.
I was inspired my Sting's post on her dog and how Mr Lenie looked unhappy with his new hair-do. My dog doesn't have long fur so I don't need to shave him. Other than that he is a really peculiar creature I tell you. I've had dogs before but this guy is special. I picked him up on the street outside of Abuja - he was in really bad shape. A very cute ball of fur, but in very bad shape. He was way too young to have been separated from his mother and his ears were black - full of ticks. My sis who is a vet warned me that he would probably die - but somehow he didn't!

This is his little monkeypuppyass when he was in Nigeria. Real bony guy.

Look at Oga now!

He is a very perceptive dog and always in need of some TLC. So If I am trying to have a rest lying down on the sofa, he always comes to lie down on the floor in the corner of the sofa and puts his head up on the pillow with piercing eyes looking like a sad doggy begging for love. Harsh!
Now, sometimes, he is not in control of his gases and lets out a recognizable odour. If I as much as wave my hand in front of my nose or say "haaayyyy" , the guy violently wakes up and reverses with his four legs between the sofa and the coffeetable with an awkward shamed look on his face. It's not easy reversing when you have four legs. He then retreats to his real bed under the other table, folds his tail around his body as he lies down again and with a frustrated look, probably due to his inability to be close to his master (me or hubby).

Water. My other dog who is living with my parents is a lab and loves water. In fact, you can't keep her away from it. Whenever she sees the tiniest pond she has to run around and splash in it. The wetter the better.
But this guy will tip-toe around every little rainpond on the ground making sure he doesn't get his toes wet. I used to think he might be gay since he's behaves like a girl with an expensive manicure.
Now imagine the wahala every time he needs a wash. I think he suffers from anxiety when it comes to water due to how many scrubbings he had to endure as a youngster in Nigeria-full-of-ticks. The only good thing about living in a cold country is the lack of ticks. If you own a pet that is.
Hubby had to scrub him inside out including the inner part of his pink ears. Hubby is the only person capable of washing him. The crazy thing is that oga KNOWS when we are scheming to wash him. He is always craving attention, so whenever anyone calls his name, he will shortly make himself present.
But when hubby calls his name and also removes his jeans at the same time, calls him with a soft sweet voice, he knows something's up. Wherever he is, he will quickly retreat to his space under the table and pretend to be asleep, looking at me in the corner of one eye pretending he's not looking. I swear. I should like, film it to prove what I am saying is true.
Now the more hubby calls out, the more uncomfortable Zico gets (that's his real name) because he feels morally obliged to obey any order coming from the ultimate head of the house. Yet he can't seem to gain enough strength to get up on his legs and go to the shower. When hubby then comes to the room to physically get him, he runs to the other room and curls his body up in an awkward position looking like a question mark. "Are you really going to get me?"
It ends up we have to put the colar on him and drag him in. Hubby closes the door.

Now when he opens the door 20 minutes later, out storms an over-ecstatic-bundle of energy.
For the next 20 minutes he'll be propelling around the house like rotor blade high on Gatorade or something. Europhoric for the fact he survived such a life-threatening ordeal yet again! Oga is thankful for the small things in life.


post signature

P. S Update on other blog is coming soon.

18 comments:

Miss Enigma May 27, 2009 at 3:36 PM  

...Awww wat a great story. So u brought him with u from 9ja? How was d hassle @ d airport?

I want a puppy...but my mom says lie lie, so until I get my own place.

aloted May 27, 2009 at 3:43 PM  

one question for u..infact i see undercover07 has asked..how did u take him across the border???

he is cute :)

Blogoratti May 27, 2009 at 7:11 PM  

Cute dog...full of energy i see.

posekyere May 27, 2009 at 8:38 PM  

Aaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwh!
I am thinking of getting a dog myself. The problem is I don't think I will have the time to properly take care of one so I am still struggling with the idea.
You seem to be really great with animals.
Thanks for sharing.

BSNC May 28, 2009 at 4:02 AM  

awwwww what a cute dog. you named him oga..lol

Good Naija Girl May 28, 2009 at 6:31 AM  

Awww, the love between a girl and her dog! Zico seems like a true sweetheart. I was so amazed when you said in one of your earlier blogs that you brought your dog from Nigeria...now that is love.

When I was in Nigeria last November, I fell in love with one of my grandmother's dogs because she (the dog) was so loyal and you could tell she was so loving. Everyone was telling me that the attention I paid to this dog, she had never seen it before, and would be my pet for life. I actually was sad to leave her.

Sadly no one really looks after her personal hygiene, so I couldn't do much more than feed her as much as I could and pet her (and wash my hands right after) for fear of picking up God knows what. I found out recently that she had 5 babies so I'm tempted to ask them to send me one.

I wonder if I'll ever get a dog...they are great companions, but there are some things that you have to be prepared for as a dog owner, things like dogs/puppies chewing your furniture, requiring regular walks even if you're feeling lazy, shedding, smelling after they've been out in the rain. However, I know that what you get in return is worth it. I'm glad you have such a lovely one.

PS - what breed is Zico?

jhazmyn May 28, 2009 at 10:35 AM  

"I used to think he might be gay since he's behaves like a girl with an expensive manicure"...lol at that one...

He sounds quite intelligent, loyal and loving...wonder when i'd get a dog of my own...or if...

How've u been dear?...

The Author May 28, 2009 at 10:41 AM  

Awww, your posts can be so warm and intelligent huh? I love your max respect for all in general, animals too, and dogs in particular.

Adaeze May 28, 2009 at 12:58 PM  

@ Juicegal - Haha. U shouldn't hate dogs though they're gods creatures. Give them a chance.. maybe u've only been around abused dogs who act like they're crazy, sure that is not a good experience.

@ Undercover07 - If you get it when you get your own place, tis definitely worth it. But you should know its a lot of responsibility and a lot of work. If you dont do it right, the dog will go crazy on u, lol meaning it will behave like a rebellious teenager!

@ Aloted, Funms and Undercover07 - Long story! The difficult part isn't really to get it out of Nigeria, but to get into any western country. To me, getting a dog from there proved way more expensive than just buying one here. You have to pay for the vaccines, but more importantly all the tests and quaranteenee back in Europe/US. Here he had to stay in quaranteene for 4 months and that is basically a dog hotel.
The difficult part in Nigeria though is that you need a special cage. I got that shipped from Norway to Nigeria, because we could not seem to find it anywhere in Nigeria. We talked to vets who called Lagos and all around Abuja, and nobody had the cage. Airlines have very strict restrictions on that for such a long journey. After that I had to make preparations with the airport personell, I made contact with a man working for the cargodepartment and gave him some cash to make sure he did everything good. It should also be noted generally bout having dogs it takes a lot of work and responsibility. Training is extremely important, without that they'll act like they're wild. My dog didn't get like this without work:-)

@ Blogoratti - I KNOW he is cute.. my baby lol

@ Posekyere - Thank you my friend. You are right. To have a dog is a delight, but you shouldn't get one before you're ready and I am happy you understand what responsibility it is beforehand. The joy kinda goes away if you can't properly take care of it because the dog ends up unhappy. They need lots of attention. I guess it is also a question of wanting. I work full time and do other things besides work and I still have the time. Any time you decide to get one I will be happy to advice! :-D

@ BSNC - I call him Oga, his name is Zico..I know..lol

@ GNG - Aww that sounds so sad about that dog. I knew a dog like that too and felt so sorry for the poor thing..You are very right it definitely is worth it. I would say the work about it is actually raising them right and being disciplined. Too many people don't understand how to train one. Either they don't at all and cuddle them to death or do it through beating and punishment which is awful. Puppies always chew on thigns but you can give them replacements and secure ur home in that period to make sure they don't. Shedding is a chore, but u can also get the ones who dont shed. You should read the info I wrote above regarding bringing a dog from Nigeria if ur interested. It was a lot of work! But I am so happy I did it. Answering ur Q, I don't know what breed he is since I picked him up on the street. He is obviously mixed german sheperd, but probably some african breed too. he has 6 toes on his hind legs and looks more beautiful than a german shep if u ask me! Lol

@ Jhazmyn - Lol :-D He is dearie... I've been fine girl how about u?

@ Nana Yaw - I was hoping to touch your heart with this post, lol. Thank you for your sweet compliment.

Jay May 28, 2009 at 1:26 PM  

oga is so cute..i want one xxx

Anonymous,  May 28, 2009 at 2:52 PM  

Abeg, share the sinister serious stuff too. The reason most people quit blogging is because they start blogging to please readers, instead of just sharing their stories, reader or no reader.

Just remember it's your blog and you can do whatecka the heck you want. You might find it therapeutic you dig. Nice dog:)

Anonymous,  May 28, 2009 at 3:10 PM  

waoh; u went tru all dt stress 4 a dog? I can only imagine how sweet a mother u'd be...

He's cute...Oga? lol

Beulah! May 28, 2009 at 7:55 PM  

That dog is fine...no be small.

Pls update the other blog fast oh...i wanna read!

Omo Oba May 28, 2009 at 9:34 PM  

yea lol, yes, a video clip of him will be nice! I am not a fan of dogs but Zico is 2 cute (and 2 smart). hie! streets of Abuja? you are on fire or sth, Adaeze.

Tairebabs May 29, 2009 at 11:54 PM  

awww i love dogs. read stings post a couple of days ago and it reminded me of how much i want a dog. Had three when i was in 9jar but since i came to yankee i have thought about getting one. Told my brother and he said that when people see me i will look like I have been fasting for years 'cos it expensive to maintain a dog here. Who knows i may still get one.

Lolia May 30, 2009 at 5:11 AM  

Your dog is gorgeous! I wish I could just hug him and play with him! Awwwwwwwwwwwwww I love dogs! :)

Enkay June 1, 2009 at 12:01 PM  

I'm not sure I'll ever own a pet in my entire life time. Don't ask me why but animals kinda 'scare' me!

You can't even get me to hold a live chicken let alone a dog!

I love cute pets all the same but from afar *winks*.
The first time I ever touched a dog was 3 years ago and I was flinching the whole time!
Hehehe!

Oga is cute!

Post a Comment

Make my day!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP