2 oclock really means between 4 and 5.Didn't you know that?

>> Friday, November 21, 2008

Ok, I must admit I do have problems with the African-time thing. I've always been critical of using that term because I hate generalising. But anyone that has ever been to the continent can confirm there is time issues. When someone shows up late to an event, of course it could be because of the difficult traffic. But here in Europe, you don't have those issues, and people still show up extremely late. 2 years ago I was attending the annual Mr/Miss Africa pageant show. It was supposed to start at 8, but nothing was happening. Wasn't until 12 the show could actually start. I've tried to convince myself that my husband wasn't effected by this time thing for 5 years but I think I'm going to have to admit it. He is very rarily on time and this has been a source of many arguements. Going to work is not a problem, but any other thing is... not always that easy. Whenever we are going out somewhere that demands us to be there at a certain time, he's always chillin until right before, and then finds out he HAS to make sure he looks real good before we go. I keep saying "come on come on" and the response I get is "I'm not going to kill myself just to be on time to this damn thing". Fair enough. What I find the hardest to digest is every time he's out and tells me a time he's going to be home and never ever makes it. That's the rule,not the exception.
I can tell though, he really does try *laugh* but he just can't make it.Looking at a watch just doesn't come natural if he's in the mode of relaxing. He's been living here for 5 years now and I'm hoping he will learn one day...Don't spoil my hopes, I'm not ready yet,lol...
I try to be as..culturally educated as I can be, and I am by no means the kind of person who thinks only one way (or my way) is the right way. Being in a inter-cultural relationship you are sure to have to make compromises, and I have no issues with that. There's many values and customs I think so called "western culture" is missing, so I actually think I'm lucky to have the opportunity of getting the best of both worlds. It's just this time thing I have troubles getting my head around. The way I was raised, constantly being late is just straight up rude. Am I crazy? At least, if you're not going to make it, just let me know? I am trying to come to terms with this reality, but my brain just seems to put up a fight..

4 comments:

Anonymous,  November 21, 2008 at 2:23 PM  

hmm. har vi av en eller annen mystisk grunn fått samme mann?? høres ut som min J på en prikk! 2 minutter før vi skal noe, finner han ALLTID ut at han bare MÅ dusje... da står jeg der og teller til 40 inni meg hver gang. ;)

Yngvild November 21, 2008 at 11:42 PM  

hihi dusjer han på 40 sekunder? d e bra raskt! Min E bruker laaaaaaang tid i dusjen. No u r not crazy, you are completely normal and its really annoying!!!

Anonymous,  November 22, 2008 at 11:37 AM  

40 sekunder? nei e du gal?! en ghaneser vet ikke hva en "kjapp dusj" er, her skal det skrubbes og såpes osv osv... jeg teller til 40 fordi det ikke hjelper å telle til 10, det er for kort. ;)

Omo Oba March 24, 2009 at 4:58 PM  

You are oh so right! I struggle with being on time as well, and it is something that has to sharply change as I go into the professional world. Somehow, even thought we grew up in the same house, my sister is hardly ever late yet I am chronically always 5- 10 mins late because I try not to get too early to a place when I can be doing something with my time. So for me, it is not necessarily an "African" thing as it is milking every second of my time.

I love love the title of this post btw.

Post a Comment

Make my day!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP